Hey Y'all!

Inspired by the Bob Wills' tune That's What I Like About the South, here you will read my ramblings on the South and all things Southern. As the song goes, "Cornbread and turnip greens... Ham hocks and butter beans... Mardi Gras down in New Orleans- That's what I like about the South!!!" That and a whole lot more. I hope y'all enjoy!





Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mule Day 2011- Southern Comfort


Hello Mary, Well, everybody was at the mule show — except for you, I think.

Do you see me in the crowd?

Love,

Bessie


When Bessie mailed her postcard to Miss Mary Smith of the Elm Grove Dairy in April 1947, I’m sure she never thought an ’ol boy in Culleoka would be holding it in his hand 64 years later. Yet, here I am, card in hand, thinking about how much fun Mule Day 1947 was.

The crowd Bessie talks about looks more like a sea of people to me. The expression, “couldn’t stir ’em with a stick” is what really comes to mind. Every man is in a suit and hat, and I’m pretty sure a person could have walked from the courthouse to First Methodist Church hat-to-hat, never touching the ground.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time just to witness an old-time Mule Day. I would like to see the crowds, all dressed in their Sunday best, as mules were sold and paraded around the square on the first Monday in April. I would like to eat in some of the diners I have only heard the old folks talk about and experience the smell of the, well, I’m sure that messy part of Mule Day smells the same.

But, then again, I think of all the scorching hot or rainy Mule Days I have attended in the past, and I am very thankful to be living in the time of air conditioning and paved roads. I also begin to wonder if they were having as much fun on the first Monday in April as I do on the first Saturday in April, because I have a blast.

My Mule Day starts early, well, as early as it can after laughing myself silly at the Liar’s Contest the night before. I pull my cowboy boots on, fire up my truck, and head to town. My body needs nourishment and I know exactly where to get it.

For as long as I can remember, the Culleoka Lions Club has held a pancake breakfast at the Memorial Building. And, for as long as I can remember, it has been a part of my Mule Day tradition. I have learned to get there as early as possible because rumor has it some people have starved to death waiting in line for a stack of flapjacks. Nevertheless, they are worth the wait.

Another trick I’ve learned over the years is to go ahead and stake your claim. After eating pancakes, I go to my spot on the parade route and place my chairs. (After sitting in the same place year after year, you begin to think of that spot as your own!) If I stick to this itinerary, I still have time for another passion of mine.

The stretch of Nashville Highway north of town is always good for a yard sale. As a matter of fact, so many of the homes on this side of town have yard sales on Mule Day weekend, it looks like one big flea market. I’m one of those people that believe the next great find is just over the horizon, so the lure of junk gets me every time.

Before long, it is time to return to my chairs. Police sirens announce the beginning of the parade and, soon after, the first mule walks my way. This is the first of many that will trot by, each one unique and beautiful. I still miss the marching bands, however.

This is usually enough to wear me out, but if I’m feeling squirrelly, I know I can always go to Maury County Park just to take it all in. There will be food, music, mules and more. Really, there’s something for every taste.

This Mule Day, be like Bessie — be seen in the crowd! Happy Mule Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment